8 October 2013

Another learning experience from the 70's and 80's


I also started studying languages ​​at school. Until sixth grade, the only language we used was Basque. It was at the age of twelve when we started learning French and Spanish language. There was no option to choose the language; the whole class had to learn French.

At that time, my school was ( ikastola) but it changed to be a public school (Herri eskola).  Unfortunately my French teacher’s ideology was Spanish and taking into consideration the political atmosphere of that time, there was no way to learn nothing.  I only remember that he was a really bad person and that we were all scare of him.  Nowadays I would dare to say that he was a fascist and that he really hated Basque culture.   His methodology was   very traditional. I remembered that we had to learn things by heart; he also used to hit us, and was constantly punishing us.

The lessons were boring and we did not learn any French at all. What I learned was how to cheat with the only purpose of passing my exams.

After three years learning French, I changed school. It was there when I first started   learning English. All my colleagues knew some English but I did not know any English at all. I was always failing this subject.
The methodology used had no sense; we used to do many repetitive exercises related to subjects of not interest to us.  I end up felling that English did not interested to me and that I had lost all my motivation.

During all those years, I took more English lessons and learned the basics. I had no interest in learning a language that was not mine and did not think that it was of any use. I managed to get an A1 level, but that was very long time ago.

Nowadays I'm taking English lesson; my level is very low but at least now I am enthusiastic and fell very motivated and hope to learn much English

No comments:

Post a Comment